Award-winning Digital Care InitiativeBack to How We Work
Time to read:
Digital Care Initiative
Scheme: The A38 Chudleigh is a key tourist route into Devon and Cornwall, with challenging diversion routes. National Highways were delivering a drainage scheme on the route involving extensive temporary traffic management arrangements and nighttime closures.
To enhance customer journeys and to deliver road user safety during construction, there was an acute need for traffic monitoring (including: CCTV, VMS link, traffic flow monitoring). The site was remote from power and data, and there were time and budget constraints.
“All Digital Solution” developed with our exclusive technology partners, Clearway.
- Standalone solar and wind powered CCTV and VMS (battery back-up)
- Flow monitoring and delay / accident automatic detection (SVD) using AI
- Direct link to VMS for immediate message updates
- Automated/remote monitoring of TM
- Cost Saving: Savings of up to 40% at installation stage and during maintenance of temporary traffic management in comparison to traditional approaches.
- Incursions and Safety: Immediate detection and alert for any SVD incidents including cone-strike (giving very rapid response time).
- Improved Road User Experience: Direct integration with VMS for safety and customer info.
- Carbon Reduction: Proven reductions in carbon by 308.1t compared with traditional approaches– that’s a 61% reduction in CO2.
- Institute of Highways Engineers – Environmental Sustainability Project of the Year – Winner
- New Civil Engineer Awards – Technology Solution of the Year – Finalist
- Highways Awards – Environmental Sustainability Award – Finalist
- British Construction Industry Awards – Carbon Net Zero Initiative of the Year – Finalist